If you haven’t read anything by Maria V. Snyder, now’s the time. The Study series, starting with Poison Study, is one of the best fantasy series out there, and characters from the Study series appear throughout the Glass series. While it’s not absolutely necessary to read the Study series prior to the Glass series, you should read the Study books anyway because they’re awesome!
Reasons I love this book:
- Plot- there are so many things interwoven into Opal’s story- trust, love, sacrifice, it’s all there
- Valek- I love Valek- he could appear for half a page and do nothing more exciting than sneeze and I would still be thinking “Oh my goodness, Valek is so awesome!”
- Kade- I love Kade. That’s all there is to it.
- Reema (and Teegan)- this little girl is one tough chick and her relationship with Opal is hilarious and frustrating at the same time
- Devlin- I am all for 2nd chances, but I feel like Opal is still so naive and trusted him too easily
- the Bloodroses- the whole cult thing was way creepy, especially the marriage and ritual cleansing thing…just ugh, it gives me the creeps thinking about it
- Devlin again (SPOILERS!)- really? Opal, you are the 1st heroine to choose against my love triangle choice. While I’m all for the unexpected, and he was sweet toward the end of the book, I’m still trying to get over his reform from hardcore criminal and torturer
- It seems like it- everything’s resolved and taken care of. Plus Maria V. Snyder’s got the Inside Out series going now. But you never know- there might be something extra, like Ice Study is for the Study series.
- “Okay, but I’m taking my switchblade along.” “To defend yourself against my mother?” he asked with an incredulous tone. “No. To slit my throat if the day goes badly.” He laughed. “Make sure you don’t bleed in front of her. She faints at the sight of blood.” pg. 200
- “You’re either a child genius or older than you look.” She flashed me a grin. “I’m both.” pg. 256